The following list contains 11 ways to reduce insulin levels, increase insulin sensitivity, reverse insulin resistance, help reduce insulin, and decrease blood sugar levels without the use of medication.
If this post resonates with you you may also want to check out this post on reversing type 2 diabetets naturally which is often the result of insulin resistance and poorly managed blood sugar levels.
I want to be clear however. If you need medication or your doctor prescribes it you should probably take it. He knows how to decrease insulin resistance better than anyone. I cannot supersede the doc's advice. Now go live longer and stay healthy!
And before you move on to the list below fill out this form to get a free summary of a simple plan to help reverse pre-diabetes.
How to Reduce Insulin Resistance and Manage Blood Sugar
- Insulin Levels and Vitamin K – “Vitamin K - a nutrient found in Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and dark leafy greens - helps keep insulin levels in check.”
- How To Reduce Insulin Levels with high intensity exercise – Only 15 minutes of high-intensity exercise, three days a week for at least two weeks is all that is needed to reduce blood-sugar levels and risk of diabetes.
- Insulin Production and Fiber - Fiber may reduce insulin production in those at risk for diabetes – Eating high fiber foods such as fortified cereals and have been shown to help manage insulin production in men with high insulin levels. This suggests that fiber and foods containing fiber could be a simple and effective treatment for those at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. And for those with low insulin levels who are wanting to know how to increase insulin production, it may even be among the few easy ways to increase insulin naturally with your diet alone.
- Reverse Insulin Resistance With Citrus Peel Extract - New research reported by Rachel Li indicates that citrus peel extract containing polymethoxylated flavones (PMFs) may help prevent diabetes… the results suggest that that a daily supplement of citrus peel extract could be a way how to improve insulin resistance and in at risk patients for developing diabetes.
- Improve Insulin Sensitivity with ALA - Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) plays a fundamental role in converting glucose to energy. Stephan Jacob, MD, of the University of Tübingen, Germany, described his recent study of 74 diabetics given at least 600 mg of ALA supplements daily. The ALA stimulated insulin activity, which safely lowered and stabilized glucose levels. The best food source of ALA are green leafy vegetables like spinach or collard greens.
- Resistance Training Combined with Aerobic Training Improves Insulin Sensitivity – “The improved insulin sensitivity is related to loss of abdominal subcutaneous and visceral AT and to increased muscle density.”
- Limit your Diet to Low-Glycemic-Index Foods - “Some research indicates that using a low-glycemic-index diet can help to reduce insulin insensitivity and improve the regulation of glucose metabolism.”
- Eat Chromium To Reduce Insulin Resistance – “This mineral plays an important role in your glucose metabolism, has shown to improve the conditions associated with diabetes, and can help decrease insulin resistance. In simple form, the chromium mineral helps to escort the glucose from the bloodstream and into the cells of the body… Foods that are rich in chromium include ham, turkey, grape juice as well as whole grain cereals and various breads.” Basically this is just another good way how to lower insulin resistance with your diet.
- Yoga Might Help In Lowering Blood Sugar Levels – “People under stress have elevated blood sugar levels… [yoga may be one good way how to lower insulin levels and blood sugar because] asanas and meditation relax patients.”
- Use Turmeric In All of Your Cooking Endeavors – Dr. Drew Tortoriello found through published research that daily intake of curcumin via the common spice Turmeric “could nicely complement our traditional therapies [for people with diabetes] as a natural and safe treatment [to improve blood-sugar control]." Additionally, studies have shown that turmeric fights many diseases and cancers, especially when it is prepared with black pepper.
- Sleep Habits and Insulin Resistance – Develop a routine, healthy sleeping pattern. “Routinely missing out on a few nights of good sleep increases your risk for type-2 diabetes. Deep, restorative sleep, also called slow-wave sleep, is important for regulating blood sugar.”
More On Lowering Insulin ResistanceIf you have any further thoughts on these natural ways to fight insulin resistance or if you would like to add an additional method of insulin resistance treatment to the list, please leave your thoughts in the comments.
Lastly, if you found this post valuable, I'd like to invite you to sign up for a free subscription to future Live A Longer Life articles. I hope you'll take the time to do so; it's free to sign up and you can opt out at any time. Just click the subscription link above. Thanks!
UPDATE 7/10/2009: Heartstrong just posted on reducing insulin resistance this morning and identified the blood sugar moderating benefits of cinnamon and how they help to manage insulin resistance. I thought it was timely and relevant so I figured it belonged on this list as number 12.
UPDATE #2: Additionally, it should be noted (as pointed out in the comments) that insulin resistance is the spawn of excess blood sugar (blood glucose levels) and for anyone looking to increase insulin sensitivity they should look to cut any excess sugars from their diet which should help keep the body in a more normal blood sugar range.
You can read more about how to lower your insulin levels in my post: The Insulin Resistance Diet where I talk more about how to manage insulin levels with diet and food primarily or you can see a simple plan to reduce insulin resistance at DiabeticSlippersEtc.com.
Amazingly most people don't realize how a poor diet affects their health. They think that if they stay active and exercise then it doesn't matter what they eat. It's true that exercise is very important and that it is probably the best way how to increase insulin sensitivity but you are really just spinning your wheels and not decreasing insulin resistance if you don't eat right at the same time.
If you need a more focused plan to get your insulin under control this book on Amazon may be an option for you to consider. It's all about following an insulin resistance diet and it has nearly perfect reviews from almost 200 customers over on Amazon.